Over time I will be adding things I’ve been offering my patients for self-help or empowerment purposes.
- When the Doctor is the Treatment
- Doctors Without Heroes
- A Country Doctor Acquitted
- Hippocrates’ First Aphorism
- “I am here, Doctor”
- Low Tech Medicine
- Albert Schweitzer, Action Hero
- Practicing Medicine Requires a Patient Relationship
- “Aaah, it’s Good to be Back!”
- Saturday’s Child: A Country Doctor Reads Hillman and Chopra
- What is Osteoporosis?
- “Examine Thoroughly, Explain Simply”
- Morbus Propedeuticus
- Avoiding Retirement
- The Night Before Surgery
- Fifty-Fifty Propositions
- What a Country Doctor Should Write
- Quality or Conformity Revisited
- What if Physicians Worked for Free?
- A Samurai Physician’s Teachings
Most Read This Week
contact @ acountrydoctorwrites.com
- Abandoning the Numbers GameI have written about the flaws behind striving for numeric targets in cholesterol treatment, first in 2008 and again in 2010. Today the American College of Cardiology and the American Hart Association issued joint guidelines that do away with numeric targets and instead recommend more individualized dosing of statins according to the need for their […]
- Medical School Lite?My Swedish medical school curriculum was 5 1/2 years, but I remember during a third-year class trip to the Soviet Union hearing that some doctors over there had a much shorter education. My classmates and I were at first surprised to see physicians staffing ill equipped ambulances, riding the streets of Moscow with critically ill […]
- Don’t Do This:Annual physicals, antibiotics for bronchitis, sinusitis and ear infections, bone density tests at menopause, rectal exams for cancer screening, EKG’s and stress tests in asymptomatic patients, any cancer screening in elderly patients – the list of things doctors do routinely that are not supported by evidence seems to be growing exponentially, but how many d […]
- Culturally Determined Syndromes: Amok, PMS, Depression?Some diseases only seem to occur in certain places, or is it that different cultures develop different symptom definitions based on the local culture? For example, I remember hearing that menopausal hot flashes are only described in Western countries. The phenomenon of culturally determined syndromes has been around for a long time and it has […]
© A Country Doctor Writes 2008-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given.